I've done something similar, although not with a Flex Application.

  The bar code data will go to the element that has focus.  I'm not sure
how you are defining "sections of the application." But you'll either
need to make sure that every focusable element will respond to the bar
code input (not practical) or force the users to select the bar code
input field before scanning.

--
Jeffry Houser, Technical Entrepreneur, Software Developer, Author,
Recording Engineer