I don't think so but maybe you can tell me otherwise. I should also
mention that this is mainly a hypothetical question as my current
situation deals with a first column renderer.

My current use of itemToItemRenderer() is to react to data updates
that happen when a web service that is called on an interval returns.
I have a DataGrid whose first column is a CheckBox. The call that is
made on an interval updates the status field of my data items, which
is displayed in another column. When an item is in certain statuses
(various stages of "in progress") I need to disable the CheckBox so
that no further action can be taken on the item. So currently I am
catching the CollectionEvent, finding the affected items and then
using itemToItemRenderer() to access and disable/enable the CheckBox.
If the CheckBox were not in the first column, or I needed to update
some other field, how would I go about that? Or would I just kinda be SOL?

Thanks,
Ben