Being a Flex newbie, I can only think of one way to solve this dilemma
(assuming I ever encounter performance problems at startup):

I thought it was a good idea to implement each HttpService in the
Component that displays the retrieved data, which is saved to an
application-wide Model, accessible to all Components. One solution
would be to centralize all HttpServices in the main application file;
they would populate the Model in the same way, but not require the
existence of their corresponding Components.

I'm sure there are better solutions out there... Thanks,

Chris.