Hello,

    I posted an answer this morning but I dont see it so let me try again
(first time posting :)

All you need to do is extend  mx.preloader.Download progressbar then
override the FlexEvent.INIT_COMPLETE ....you can then control when your
preloader will end ...see here  (sorry ...I am paraphrasing my code dont
have it with me but you will get the idea)

public class Preloader extends DownloadProgressBar {

         public var splash:SplashScreen;

         public function CustomPreloader()
         {
             super();
             splash = new splashScreen();
             this.addChild(splash) ;
         }

         override public function set preloader( preloader:Sprite ):void
         {
             preloader.addEventListener( FlexEvent.INIT_COMPLETE ,
FlexInitComplete );
         }

         private function FlexInitComplete( event:Event ):void
         {
          splash.comp= true;   // When this is true I know that the swf
has finished downloading
             dispatchEvent( new Event( Event.COMPLETE ) );

so over riding and binding a var to true I can use another event (like a
database query result event to call another function inside of my splash
sprite .as file to remove itself like this:

   public function startupComplete( event:ResultEvent):void
   {

    if( this.comp) closeSplash() ;

   }

   public function closeSplash( ):void
   {
    if( this.alpha > 0){
     this.alpha = this.alpha - fadeOutRate;
     this.parent.removeChild(this);

if this sounds like what you want I can send you all my code to do this
.

Rudmonster :)