The first trick is to get the scrollbars to appear on the VBox and not
the app.  That's the main reason you got clipped.

Try this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute"

 height="300">

<mx:VBox id="vb" width="100%" height="100%" minWidth="0" minHeight="0" >

 <mx:Box id="box" width="100%" minWidth="0" minHeight="0" height="20"
backgroundColor="red" borderColor="blue"  borderStyle="solid"
borderThickness="8" />

 <mx:TextInput id="boxSize" width="100"
change="box.height=event.currentTarget.text" />

</mx:VBox>

</mx:Application>