Yeah, that's SDK-12588.  Fixed in Flex 3.  It appears you can sort of
get around it like this:

   import mx.controls.listClasses.ListBaseContentHolder;
   private function hackit():void
   {
    var n:int = srcgrid5.numChildren;
    for (var i:int = 0; i < n; i++)
    {
     if (srcgrid5.getChildAt(i) is ListBaseContentHolder)
     {
      ListBaseContentHolder(srcgrid5.getChildAt(i)).tabChildren = true;
      break;

        ]]>
    </mx:Script>

  <mx:TextInput  x="19" y="10" text="Start here!"/>
        <mx:DataGrid id="srcgrid5" dataProvider="{sampleData}"
editable="true"  x="19" y="40" tabChildren="true" initialize="hackit()">