If you want to build simple XML-based services with your server code it really
doesn't
make much difference to Flex.  You can even use SOAP web services and Flex has
a way to
interact with them although I wouldn't suggest starting off using SOAP unless
mandated
but that is a different issue.

Flex is truly just a 'front-end' builder that can stay loosely coupled to your
server code.  If
you want tighter integration with smaller data transfer you will want to look
into using
AMF.  This will have a server specific component to it.  Unfortunately I use
Java for my
server code so I am not sure what you would need to look into for AMF on a .NET
server.

Probably should start simple, with XML services first.  We used the 'Training
from the
Source..." book to get started in general.

Good luck!

- Todd