Dale, I feel your pain. Flex Builder does need more intuitive and
support different develop/production scenarios, especially where the
developer isn't running locally or even on a local network. It can be
confusing. It is assumed that you're using a dev version of CF on your
dev box. (ideal scenario).

Mapped drive works great when on a LAN, but doesn't if I'm deploying
to a remote server/host.

In my case, I find using the "Basic" project, not CF option, is
easiest for me for remote server work.

On my local PC, I created a folder path
C:\CFusionMX7\wwwroot\web-inf\flex\services-config.xml
CF8 in your case

Then after compiling/running locally in Flex, I FTP/RDP the /bin to
the remote server.

This lets me build locally and compile locally, then test on the
server with live data. Not ideal, but it works.

But, you do need to right-click on the project, select properties and
enter the following in the complier arguments
-services "C:\CFusionMX7\wwwroot\web-inf\flex\services-config.xml"

It's a workaround that works for me.

When I'm in the office, on a LAN, I map a drive, like Mike suggests.

Don