Check out mx:states, that's one solution.  Define one state with your
control visible and another with it invisible and the rest of the
controls moved up a bit.  This can be done in the design view in flex
builder.

Another way would be to put all your moving controls on a canvas with
positions relative to its top left corner and then just move the whole
canvas up.