there are lots of ways of making sure that the state of your custom
controls is managed exactly how you want it.  None of them are
completely free, you have to put in some effort.  Here are a few:

1) create the control every time it gets accessed.  This will
guarantee that it retains no state
2) write a clear() function on the control which makes sure that state
is cleared and the state of all child controls.  Call the clear()
function either just before the control gets shown or just after you
retrieve the data and switch out of it.
3) make sure that data bindings are in place which mean that the
control's state is always accurate, including null bindings or
bindings to null.

These are not either/or, you can do all of them - it depends on
exactly how you want your app to behave and how you want to structure
your code.

Personally I do a lot of 2) and have a clear function called
preInitialise() on every custom control and I make sure that it gets
called before the control is shown.  I do all the set-up/clean-up I
need in preInitialise().  I have this standard across all my controls
and if in doubt preInitialise on the parent will call preInitialise on
the custom controls which are children.

All of this is manually written code, nothing is for free.