I finally figured it out - I wasn't planning on spending my night on
this....but it was just way too aggravating to leave alone.
Apparently when I copy and paste those same shapes from Illustrator CS3
to Flash CS3, I can export my SWF asset library and it works fine.
Something about Illustrator CS3's SWF export is being wacky - I actually
have another rendering bug at another part of my project, and I suspect
this is the reason.  Hopefully when I ditch my sample app and do this to
my real app tomorrow I'll see the same results.
thanks!  hope this helps others too
ben