You haven't said where your xml files live, so I am going to presume
you have a server infrastructure to deliver them.  If you don't then
you either need to make one or use the desktop version of Flex, Air.
If you need guidance on how to make a server then I think it is
outside this forum (go and look at JBoss/J2EE or PHP or ColdFusion or
.Net if you don't ever want your server to run outside Windows).
There are many ways of getting the data back, but since you are
talking about XML my guess would be HTTP (rather than AMF).

The flash player is single threaded so you don't get truly
asynchronous processing on the client, however your responders for
your server requests are event driven and will fire asynchronously and
be processed as the responses come in from the server (the order is
random, the processing is synchronous).

Use the XML object in flex to handle the payload of your response.
That will do all the parsing for you and give you access to your
model.  You'll have to traverse the data yourself to get at the
elements and attributes you need for display but that is all well
documented and fairly simple and I am sure you have seen it, the only
bit missing is the knowledge of your model(s) and only you have that.

There are many ways of displaying lists, and many examples of how to
do it.  Start by reading up about the HorizontalList control and
ItemRenderers.  If your model is reasonably coherent then there a
chance you could bind directly to it from your display controls, which
is about the simplest client implementation you can get.

good luck and hth get you started
Simon

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "missgiggygirl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>