I think it is joke that someone would form their entire opinion on a
fledgling runtime environment because it cannot do one or two things.

First of all, you have entirely missed the initial directive of AIR in the
first place which is to extend the browser to the desktop. I cannot think of
any web pages that access a command line prompt or the TWAIN API directly so
I am not surprised AIR cannot do these things.

Everything you have proceeded to mention is on the radar and I would not be
surprised to see some implementation of it in the near future.

Lukas

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,
Jeff Tapper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> a colleague of mine has written an app to do this with AIR and
> Artemis and a handful of java classes. its pretty sweet.
>
> If used properly, AIR is anything but a joke.
>
> At 08:43 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:
>
> >Javier de la Torre wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I would like to access the TWAIN API from an AIR application. I
have
> > > been looking around and the only way I have found it is by using
> > > Artemis. Although accessing from Java would be great, there are
great
> > > APIs out there, the Artemis connection looks very preliminar
and with
> > > a deploying process that can be too hard.
> > >
> > > I have understood also that there is no way to run command line
> > > processes from AIR in thi version.
> > >
> > > Another idea I have heard is to create an external program that
will
> > > provide me access to TWAIN through sockets connections. But
then I
> > > would have to distribute the two things together, set up
services in
> > > windows, uff... it sounds is gonna be complicate to distribute
such a
> > > software.
> > >
> > > Any other idea?
> > >

> >Don't use air. Its pretty much useless for this type of app as far
as i
> >can tell. It's a bit of a bad joke really. Pity.
> >
> >cheers,
> >- shaun
> >

> Jeff Tapper
> Senior Technologist
> Digital Primates IT Consulting Group
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.digitalp <http://www.digitalprimates.net> rimates.net

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=12286167/grpspId=1705007207/msgI
d=100009/stime=1201124033/nc1=4507179/nc2=3848642/nc3=4990213>