We do something very similar in that we bounce text data back to the
client via a jsp page which sets the mime type of the response to
automatically invoke excel.  This gives the user the impression that
they press  button and are asked to open or save as an excel file,
which we have found to be enough.

It is true that the text document will not support formatting or
formulae, but then neither does the datagrid, so unless you have a
spreadsheet application written in ActionScript then that point may
well be moot.  If you do, then please share your spreadsheet with us,
we'd all love to have one.

If you do need to preserve formatting then the other approach we have
taken is to have an xsl template on the server which creates an MS
Office open xml document and respond with the correct mime type.  We
do that for MS Word but you could just as easily do it for Excel.
Again the user's impression is that they press a button and are asked
to save or open an MS Word file.

PowerPoint is more difficult.

HTH

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Johannes Nel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>