Below are some snippets.
Tracy

When working with Repeater, I advise creating a custom component that
you will repeat, and pass it the entire "currentItem", In the component,
implement a "setter" function to receive the currentItem data.

Now, in the component, you can code normally, binding to the data as you
wish, without the hard to read currentItem references. You also avoid
the binding warnings without the cast/conversion because the binding
source is a true XML object.

And, you can dispatch events normally.  In the event handler, you can
reference the component via the event.target property, and thus get a
direct reference to the dataProvider item.  This is easier to write and
read than having to use getRepeaterItem().

Here are some code snippets:

In the main app or component (note how "clean" and readable this is):
<mx:Application
<mx:VBox ...>
  <mx:Repeater id="rp" dataProvider="{_xmlData}" ...>
    <mycomp:MyRepeatedComponent xmlItem="{rp.currentItem}" .../>
  </mx:Repeater
</mx:VBox>

And in the component, MyRepeatedComponent.mxml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:HBox ...
<mx:Script><![CDATA[
  [Bindable]private var _xmlItem:XML;

  public function set xmlData(xml:XML):void
  {
    _xmlItem = xml;
    //do any special, non-bound ui stuff you want
  }//
]]></mx:Script>
  <!-- Now declare the Item UI -->
  <mx:Text id="lbDescription" text="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
width="100%" height="100%" />

Goal: Display a list of items using a complex display for each item, and
have each of those items behave like a menu element and respond to a
click anywhere on the item by running a handler function.

One solution is to use a Repeater with a custom component

In the main app or component, declare the Repeater, and the click
handler function.
<mx:Application ...
<mx:Script><![CDATA[
  import MyRepeaterItem;

private function onRPItemClick(oEvent:Event):void
{
    var xmlItem:XML = XML(oEvent.target);

}//onRPItemClick
]]></mx:Script>
  <mx:VBox ...>
    <mx:Repeater id="rp" dataProvider="{_xmlData}" ...>
      <!-- Note we pass in the entire currentItem, and define a click
handler  -->
      <MyRepeaterItem xmlItem="{rp.currentItem}"
itemClick="onRPItemClick(event)" .../>
    </mx:Repeater
  </mx:VBox>
</mx:Application>

And in the component, MyRepeaterItem.mxml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:HBox mouseChildren="false" buttonMode="true" click="onClick(event)"

  <!-- The metadata tag below allows us to define an itemClick handler
in mxml, as in the code above -->
  <mx:Metadata>
     [Event(name="itemClick", type="flash.events.Event")]
  </mx:Metadata>
<mx:Script><![CDATA[
  [Bindable]private var _xmlItem:XML;

  /** Setter function */
  public function set xmlItem(xml:XML):void
  {
    _xmlItem = xml;
    //do any special, non-bound ui stuff you want
  }//set xmlItem

  /** Getter function */
  public function get xmlItem():XML
  {
    return _xmlItem;
  }//get xmlItem

  /** Outer VBox Click handler function */
  private function onClick():void
  {
    dispatchEvent(new Event("itemClick",false); //we do not need/want
this event to bubble
  }//onClick

]]></mx:Script>
  <!-- Now declare the Item UI -->
  <mx:Text id="lbDescription" text="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
width="100%" height="100%" />
</mx:HBox>