Well I found the answer, but I have another question or two.

The answer is this.nonInheritingStyles.textAlign.

One new question is how can I tell whether this value is the default
value, or a value set by the mxml?

If I change the value during run time, it doesn't seem to honor the
new value. How can I go about making this happen?

Paul