just go to the RichTextEditor.mxml in the framework source, i have attempted
to extend it but changed my mind as most of the properties i wanted to
modify were excluded in the original source.

once i noticed the richtexteditor is a simple mxml page with really only 2
functions that i cared about- it was easy to create my own RTE (only with
the formatting supported by the TextRange object though).

check out the source, see how they built theirs- and you can decide if you
want to extend it or develop one of your own.

d.