Hi,

If all children that pertain to a given group already share the same parent
(parentKey) that means the group is kind of already here, it is just that it
is not exposed to Flex in manner that please it.

Indeed HierarchicalData does not work out its hierarchy from parent
relationship (parentKey->key) as you have but from children relationship
(childrenField).

So you need to expose the relationship that way instead of the other way around.

Either you have the ability to change your data to expose them that way which
would be the simplest, or you have to find a workaround. Maybe using
groupingObjectFunction on your grouping to return the instance of the parent
(the one pointed by parentKey) would help? (not tested though)

Hope this helps,
--
Christophe
http://elixir.ilog.com