Maybe it's just too early and I haven't had enough coffee, but I
can't make this work.

I took a number of components I have been building and decided to
move them into a library project.  I created the new library project,
added the source files, and built the SWC with no problem.

I then took my old project, copied the application file, deleted the
project (deleted from Eclipse and the file system) and recreated it.
I copied the script, HTTPService, and layout tags from my old
application file (nothing referencing the components in the
library).

I added the Library project (properties -> flex build path -> library
path -> Add Project).  I made the link type "External."

When I try to add a component from the library FB finds the class and
allows me to add it (creates a "local" namespace as xmlns:local="*").

When I try to run, I get a string of errors starting with:
VerifyError: Error #1014: Class mx.core::Application could not be
found.

        at flash.display::MovieClip/nextFrame()
        at mx.managers::SystemManager/deferredNextFrame()
[E:\dev\flex_3_beta3
\sdk\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\SystemManager.as:29
7]
        at mx.managers::SystemManager/preloader_initProgressHandler()
[E:\dev\flex_3_beta3
\sdk\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\SystemManager.as:22
09]
        at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
        at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
        at mx.preloaders::Preloader/timerHandler()[E:\dev\flex_3_beta3
\sdk\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\preloaders\Preloader.as:396]
        at flash.utils::Timer/_timerDispatch()
        at flash.utils::Timer/tick()

If I change the link type "Merge into code" everything runs fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!