Sorry for the confusion...still in the beginning phases with Flex...

I'm not sure I understand the question.  All columns are going to use the
dataProvider on the DG.

this is true..it does that, however one coulumn lists the elements of an
array in that dataprovider so when i need to edit that coulmn i want
ComboBox containing a list of all choices an there are several other
properties of that combobox i'd like to set as well...

despite my confused state  you've been most helpful... :)