Amy:

Thanks for the post.

No, actually I will be doing this in flex, not AIR.

What I would like to do is to have a mini word processor that a user
can edit and save RTF type files. I will define a tag such as "<
[fieldName]>" or the like where the user can specify fields that are
in the db.

To do the merge I will take the RTF file with tags, and process it on
the backend and feed it back to a new window with "application/word"
metatag and viola word pops up with the document ready to print.

At least that's how it should work in theory.

Paul
--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Amy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "aceoohay" <pauls@> wrote:
> >
> > I want to create a Rich Text Format (RTF) editor in flex, is it
> doable?
> >
> > I was initially excited about the RTE component until I realized
that
> > the output is html. Has anyone created either an RTF component,
or a
> > reliable translation class from html to RTF?
> >
> > My end goal is to create a mail merge component where the users
will
> be
> > able to create a document with tags that can be replaced with
fields
> > from a DB. Once merged I want to send it to a word processor such
as
> > word for rendering to the printer.
>
> I've been pondering this myself.  Keep in mind I know more about
Word
> than Flex.  I'm assuming you want to do this from AIR, since I
doubt
> you'll be able to send to Word from a browser based Flex swf.
>
> What I would do would be to set up a template word dot that has
fields
> that are set up to be dynamically populated.  I'd set up this dot
> read from a data source you created in AIR, either directly from a
> sqlLite database or something like a comma-delimited text file on
> launch (AutoExec).  Then, once the data source is set up correctly,
> launch your .dot, it sucks in the data source and then either
prints
> automatically or pops up a word form that allows further
instructions.