Chad:

There are many reasons why they are different, but let me give you an
example of why *I* use modules.

I have an application "shell" - basically a pretty basic application that
does some basic tasks.  As I develop new functionality for this app (ie: new
reports, new data entry screens, new tools, etc) all I need to do is compile
a module into a .SWF, and place it into folder on my server.  People using
my app can now "load" this new functionality into their application, WITHOUT
even restarting their application - it just shows up on the menu.

So, ONE way to think about modules is that they are great for parts of your
application you haven't designed, written, or even thought about yet.

Also, since they are loaded in on the fly, you application stays SMALL and
only brings down from the server what that person has access to.  With the
component way, ALL of those need to be compiled into your application and
fed over the wire.

So if someone just wanted to check a stock quote, they would have to
download the entire app.  Using modules, they would only have to download
the piece that let them view stock quotes.

Note however, that there are a few things you need to do special to avoid
problems when using modules.  Search this list for all kids of good
information on it.

Hopefully that helped explain the differences a bit more - and note that
there are others.

Thanks
-Pat Buchanan
www.DataNotion.com