I have a filter function that works fine so long as there is data in each
column. In the following function a flight number (FlightNumber) hasn't been
added so any search attempt (i.e., filter on FirstName, LastName or UserID)
results in a #1009 error.

// Datagrid Filter
public function processFilter(item:Object):Boolean
{
var result:Boolean=false;
var pattern:RegExp = new RegExp("^"+userIDFilter.text,"i");
// If no filter text, or a match, then true
if (!item.UserID.match || item.UserID.match(pattern) ||
!item.FirstName.match || item.FirstName.match(pattern) ||
!item.LastName.match || item.LastName.match(pattern) ||
!item.FlightNumber.match || item.FlightNumber.match(pattern))

result=true;
return result;
}

How can I make this function filter (filled fields) even when one field is
still empty, thus avoiding the "null object reference".

Thanks,

James