This is good for faster transmission, though I use zip before I
transfer the xml.

I am assuming you are talking about AMF, right?  Is there something
now that can compose AMF data other than Adobe server products?

BTW, the main issue now is, once you have this object, and if it
happens to be a 10M xml, then you can never free up the memory to get
a new one, you will eventually crash as in my test app that I sent out.

Thanks,

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, li wenzhi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You could try to convert your xml string into Object in backend then
deliver to Flex frontend to avoid this problem.

> lwz7512
> Ultrapower Flex Team Leader
> OpenRIA -- A Window You Exploring RIA World
> http://www.openria.cn

doesn't mean you should." The case of loading a 20mb text (xml) file…
I think would qualify. To be fair I did try a few experiments with the
xslspec (http://www.w3. org/TR/2001/ REC-xsl-20011015 /xslspec. xml)
which is nearly 25k lines. I profiled a typical scenario of loading it
as a string, conversion to xml and cleanup. The memory footprint was
reasonable for the size of text – nothing to write home about. I did
get some erratic results executing repeated conversions (1 conversion
per second for 10 seconds). Still… things settled down after about 120
seconds. Did I see anything that looked like a true leak? No. What I
did see what the effect of a huge number of string operations… and the
memory footprint of a business case that made me say – "chunk it… or
leave it." Flex is truly awesome, but I think that what you are trying
to do has me wondering what
>  the justification is (please share). Really – Flex will do what you
ask it to do… it doesn't mean that it will perform well… but it will
do it. This is true for any language – the effect is just more evident
in ActionScript.

> Rick Winscot

com] On Behalf Of Ilam Mougy
> Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:49 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ups.com
> Subject: [flexcoders] memory leak in converting string to xml
>
> I am almost giving up on this issue, I don't know any work around.
> Here is example, in AS:-
>
> var strToBeXML:String = '<root>...</root>';// this is huge string,
> 20Meg xml for example.
> myTrace('*** ** memory before xml conversion (A): ' +
System.totalMemory) ;
> var xmlObj:XML = new XML(strToBeXML) ;
> myTrace('*** ** memory after xml conversion (B): ' +
System.totalMemory) ;