Hi Steven,
If you are using XML, then by all means use Tracey's example.

I am building something similar, but I am using objects in an
ArrayCollection instead of XML.  What I have done is add an "id"
and "parent" field to my object.  When I am building my
ArrayCollection of objects, I make sure to assign the "parent" field
to the correct "id" value.

Walking up the tree from a low level is simple.  Just recursively (or
in a while loop) find the next parent until the parent field is null.

Cheers,
Dom

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Carpenter, Steven"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still learning with Flex, and I'm stuck on this problem:
>
> I have a Tree component and for any given selectedItem, I need to
get a
> list of parent nodes for that item - I'm not concerned with the
children
> of each parent, I just need to get a list or path of parent nodes
for an
> item, back up to the root node. I got as far as creating a method
that
> will take the selected item and get its parent node using
> Tree.getParentItem(node) and ITreeDataDescriptor.isBranch() but I'm
> struggling with building a recursive function that will let me walk
back
> up the tree. I've seen a great example of walking down a tree's
> DataDescriptor using IViewCursor but not I'm stuck on creating
something
> that works in the other direction. Does anyone have any
pointers/advice?