If Adobe was smart they would completely open source AIR and Flash Player.

Then Flex/AIR could be the new GUI layer for desktop Java apps.

Of course there is no reason you couldn't just bundle your application
so that it automatically installs a local instance of Tomcat or some
other java container running Blaze DS and then interact with the local
JVM through remoting calls made to localhost.

Artemis is dead though. Not sure what happened to the post that
explained why.