By a coincidence I created yesterday a component you are talking about.

http://mitek.id.au/flex/ElasticTextField.as

The important thing is - it works in Flex "Printing Plant/Engine".

PS This is a readonly thing as my primary goal was printing. I tried
to use TextArea - it does not work in printing, for some reason it
does not know how to measure the textHeight/Width. TextField works
fine though.

Cheers,
Dmitri.