I would think you'd have to write completely custom drag functions that
listen for mouse down on your component, and then on mouse move keep
listening for the target to not be your container, as soon as it isn't,
accept the DragDrop and start listening for mouse up to handle the removal.

I keep this doc handy for anytime I get into custom drag situations:
http://blogs.adobe.com/flexdoc/pdf/dragdrop.pdf