Is it bad to reply to your own post?  Sorry for my impatience.  I have
found an answer to my problem and maybe I can save others the reply
effort.

>From Christophe Coenraets fine post on the matter (
http://coenraets.org/flex-spring/), I quote:

"So, if Flex clients can remotely access Java objects, and if Spring
beans are Java objects, aren't we all set and ready to start accessing
Spring beans from Flex clients? AlmostÂ… There is one simple element to
configure.

The whole idea behind Spring IoC is to let the container instantiate
components (and inject their dependencies). By default, however,
components accessed remotely by a Flex client are instantiated by Flex
destinations at the server-side. The key to the Flex/Spring
integration is therefore to configure the Flex destinations to let the
Spring container take care of instantiating Spring beans. The Flex
Data Services support the concept of factory to enable this type of
custom component instantiation. The role of a factory is simply to
provide ready-to-use instances of components to a Flex destination
(instead of letting the Flex destination instantiate these components
itself). "

Thanks