Thanks for your response Alex - my apologies for such a long delay in
replying.

Here is an example of the problem (see code below) - the datatips are
displayed regardless of whether the text is clipped.

Any help in figuring out how to only make it show a datatip for text
that is too long for a cell would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stuart

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- dpcontrols/DataGridSpecifyColumns.mxml -->
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; >
   <mx:DataGrid>
      <mx:ArrayCollection>
         <mx:Object Artist="Pavement" Price="11.99"
            Album="Slanted and Enchanted" />
         <mx:Object Artist="Pavement"
            Album="Brighten the Corners" Price="11.99" />
      </mx:ArrayCollection>
      <mx:columns>
         <mx:DataGridColumn showDataTips="true" dataField="Album" />
         <mx:DataGridColumn showDataTips="true" dataField="Price" />
      </mx:columns>
   </mx:DataGrid>
</mx:Application>