Thanks, Troy.
I am using alpha currently, and think that I will be able to use various matrix
manipulations when I get there. I
am drawing to a Canvas. I think that I will be exploring bitmap caching
shortly. But if it starts looking like I will
need to manage my own dirty rectangles then I will spend some time extending
DisplayObject.
-Eric