The example in the documentation for the Button class shows a very
simple example of this concept.
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/mx/controls/Button.html

I came from an AS1/AS2 background as well and there was definitely a
learning curve but there is plenty of good information out there,
including the docs themselves. I would suggest sitting down and
reading through most of
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=Part6_ProgAS_1.html
and thoroughly studying
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/16_Event_handling_1.html until
you understand the event model. I think that was even a realization I
came to at one point is that AS3 is ALL ABOUT the event model.
Dispatching, capturing, handling, etc. If you don't understand events
in AS3/Flex you are going to have a very hard time being productive.

HTH,
Ben