This one's got me stumped:

I'm using a fade effect to fade out a canvas from alpha 1 to alpha 0.

The canvas contains two overlapping PNG images, using <mx:Image>.

The problem is that when I do the fade out effect (targeting the
canvas), it looks like the alpha property of each child image
is "fading" from 1 to 0, so that the background image begins to show
through the foreground image as the fade progresses.

How would I prevent this?  Is there a way to treat all of the visuals
in the canvas as a single entity whose alpha is "faded" out?

thx!
-Matt