If you have control of the web service itself and no one is forcing
you to use SOAP you have other less complex, better performing options.

1)  If you want to use XML, try using REST style web services or a
straight XML representation of your object and you can explicitly
control how you read/write the object(s),
2)  If you have some Ajax code that might call it also, you might
consider using JSON,
3)  But the best solution if your client is Flex and will most likely
always be Flex (in my opinion) is to use AMF.

I know that Flex supports SOAP web services but after working for a
while with fairly complex SOAP web services using Java tools but
having to play well with .NET generated solutions convinced me that
complexity for the sake of complexity (SOAP) is going to make your
life harder no matter what tools you use.

But I understand if you have some 'architect' or manager telling you
that you MUST use SOAP.  Been there...

$0.02

Good luck!

- Todd