Hi,

I think that the simplest back-end is a PHP with session handling. On
the client side you shouldn't do anything as browsers deal with sessions.

Start reading from here:
http://au.php.net/manual/en/book.session.php

The idea is that server should ask browser to start a session for
every connection. Then server checks that this session has been
authenticated, if yes - proceed with request handling.
If session has not been registered(authenticated) - tear down the
connection.

And then, finally - how to authenticate the session. Check login
credentials in the database, if they are OK - register session. In PHP
it means that you have to declare some variable which will be
associated with this session (until it expires).
$_SESSION[LOGIN]="OK" is fine enough.

This is just a rough idea of the process - there are plenty of details
you should pay an attention.

Cheers,
Dmitri.