From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of ilkka.kudjoi
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:09 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Creating and downloading a file in client or
alternatives

Hi,

we do have a flex application running on a server using .NET C# over
FluorineFX. We need to export tables in Excel, so I suppose should
create text file containing a html table and set it's mime type to
Excel so that the file would open in Excel as default.

Is there any means of creating the file in the client and letting the
user download the file as it was coming from the remote server? If it
would be possible to create the file in client, it would be
preferable due to performance issues. Note, that I do not wan't to
access user's file system directly, only provide the user a dialog
where he/she can choose, where to save the file.

If this is not possible, what practice would you suggest to handle
the case in server? So far I've googled that it should be possible to
create a file on the server, send the URL to the client and then use
FileReferencer class to download the file, but I found this solution
unpreferrable, because the file needs to be accessed only once and
only by the current user - no-one else, so I found saving the file in
server's filesystem not a good choice.

I really appreciate your advice,
BR Ilkka