is your renderer complex and using bindings?  Try making use of invalidation
approaches.  eg, in set data() call invalidateProperties() and override
commitProperties() where you do the actual work.  Ely G has a great paper
talking about this approach.
http://flex.org/ACDS/BuildingAFlexComponent.pdf

DK

--