Are you certain the bottleneck is the "processing" as opposed to the
rendering?

Tracy

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom Longson
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:53 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] 5,000 record dataset needs love

Dear Super Smart Flex Developer Mailing List,

We are currently having major issues processing a dataset that is
essential for our skunkworks web site. The dataset is stored as JSON,
consists of 5000 records, and has numerous strings. It is 1.4mb
uncompressed / 85kb compressed. Processing the data, which involves
creating a custom object to hold it, currently takes a much as 60
seconds.

We are in the process of attacking this beast to make it run faster,
and we are considering the following approaches:

1. Create an index for repetitive strings within the dataset to avoid
repetitive strings because integer assignment is faster than string
assignment (we assume).
2. Try substituting XML for JSON (no idea if this would be faster or
not).
3. Attempt to deliver an actionscript binary blob to the application
from PHP (not even sure if that's possible... ASON?).
4. Create a compiled swf with our data postprocessed and attempt to
access it (again, not sure if that's possible).
5. <insert your solution here>

Your expert, snarky, helpful advice is much appreciated,
Tom