To be clear, in Flex you will be 'consuming" a web service, not creating
one.

Consuming a simple webservice in flex is pretty easy, the examples in
the docs are pretty clear and there are other examples around (I have on
on www.cflex.net <http://www.cflex.net/> ).

One benefit of the generated code, or of using the same approach is that
you wind up with strongly typed Value objects to work with in Flex.
This is the most performant option, noticable if you have many complex
item renderers displayed at any one time.

If your UI is not so dense, then simple access of the returned XML works
just fine.

Tracy