Ram,

The component you are trying to create shouldn´t exetend the combobox
for two reasons, first you would have to override a lot of the
combobox methods and second  (and for me the most important) you would
break the common sense of how a combobox should behave for example if
it doesn´t close when you select an item when it closes? What you are
going to show when the user select five items?

If I where you I would make that componente based in the canvas or the
vbox container and give it a diferent look form the combobox (after
all as I said the feel is alredy diferent), you could use a label and
a button (for the closed look) and a list with checkboxes itemEditors
(for the opened look)

Felipe