I use a little ole' MacBook for most of my development. All my .NET
stuff runs on my Windows partition using Parallels and Virtue
Desktops, faster than my fully-fledged PC lappy, and then enerything
else is done on OSX. I was a little dubious at first when this
configuration was advised to me, but it works fantastically. Devving,
testing and debugging in the two environments within one little
(beautifully crafted and developed) box. Awesome.
If you are looking to get one, the new MacBook Pro is rumoured to be
announced on 9th June, so wait for that, and whatver you do, buy the
minimum RAM from Apple and upgrade it yourself, cuz theirs is a rip-off!

Personally, I would never buy a Dell after years of having problems
with their cheap and shoddy components. They may have got better in
recent years, but my previous experiences make me shudder every time I
hear the word "Dell".

http://www.joeflash.ca/blog/2008/04/how-i-bought-my-perfect-xp-laptop.html

> The other reason I bought it is that it's got a really solid
> construction, no cheap plastic, and without weighing a ton -- and at my
> former employers', that's all they would buy were the Latitude, so I
> know they can take quite a beating.
>
> So if you're going to buy a PC laptop, it pays to dig for the
> not-so-newest-fad to find quality.

> Joseph Balderson, Flash Platform Developer | http://joeflash.ca
>

> Anatole Tartakovsky wrote:
> > I would stay away from Vaio for developers machine - a lot of
components
> > with proprietary Sony drivers, XP models are not compatible with
Vista
> > ones, no driver upgrades - they are OK for occasional/office user,
but
> > hard to work with if you need to re-image or add/replace hardware.
The
> > only one laptop comparable in my mind to MBP is Thinkpad T61 -
good LCDs
> > and hard drives, power supply that does work on airplane, cheap
memory
> > and comparable performance - but the quality has been declining
steadily
> > for years, so it becomes chancy. However, the parts and design are
still
> > OK for machine with lifespan of 2 years. We still buy them for our
staff
> > that goes to Windows only shops - the difference in the price for
> > identical hardware spec is about 30%.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Anatole
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Josh McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >
> >     They're not really pricey if you care about build and component
> >     quality and style though - Sure I could buy a cheap fugly dell for
> >     2/3 the price, but if I were stuck in Windows I wouldn't be caught
> >     dead using "consumer" laptops. Lousy components, ugly and too much
> >     cheap plastic. I'd have to go for a Vaio, which is priced like a
> >     Mackbook Pro anyway.
> >

> >     On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Rob Rusher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >
> >         For years I said that I couldn't/wouldn't switch to a Mac
> >         because I always need to do Windows specific tasks. But, with
> >         the Intel-based MacBook Pro and Parallels, I have install
> >         Windows XP SP3 on a separate partition and can run the two
OS in
> >         tandem.
> >
> >         So I've been on a Mac for a little over a year now. I love the
> >         form factor of the machine; light and small. It is very
> >         powerful. I can test alpha/beta software on Windows and Mac. I
> >         can do .NET development on Windows. I do Flex/AIR
development on
> >         both platforms.
> >
> >         I'd say that I'm fat and happy, but I only weigh a buck forty.
> >         But I'm am happy!
> >
> >         The down side, Macs are a little pricey.
> >
> >         Regards,
> >         Rob
> >
> >         On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Josh McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >         <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >
> >             Anecdote of the minute: I'm fine on my bigass iMac, but
> >             there's 2 or 3 vista laptops in the office, and soapUI
seems
> >             to have some Vista incompatibilities. Could be the fact
> >             we're using 2.0.3 which AFAIK is still unreleased, but it
> >             could be Vista too :)
> >
> >             On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Nancy Gill
> >             <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >
> >                 Microsoft is already on record as pushing Windows
7 out
> >                 the door as soon as possible (probably late 2009)
due to
> >                 the Vista debacle .. remember Windows ME?   :)
> >
> >                 Nancy

Vista. Use
> >                     XP SP3.

> >                     Joseph Balderson | http://joeflash.ca |
705-466-6345

> >                     b_alen wrote:
> >                      > Interesting. Me and my colleagues are also
> >                     thinking of switching to
> >                      > Mac due to Vista crappiness. In fact we're 80%
> >                     sure that next laptops
> >                      > will be Macs. My only concern is how to do .Net
> >                     development and
> >                      > integration with Flex then. Anyone has a
solution
> >                     to that?
> >                      >
> >                      >
> >                      >
> >                      >
> >                      >
> >                      > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
> >                     <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>,
> >                     "scottyale2008" <scottyale2008@>
> >                      > wrote:
> >                      >> How many Flex developers here are using a Mac
> >                     for development? I've
> >                      >> been a die hard Microsoft guy since ... well,
> >                     since Microsoft first
> >                      >> started. I went from CPM on a Morrow
Meadows to

http://www.mail-archive.com/flexcoders%40yahoogroups.comYahoo!
> >                     Groups Links
> >                      >
> >                      >
> >                      >
> >                      >

> >                     __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus,
> >                     version of virus signature database 3162
(20080605)
> >                     __________
> >
> >                     The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
> >
> >                     http://www.eset.com
> >

> >             --
> >             "Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls. It
> >             tolls for thee."
> >
> >             :: Josh 'G-Funk' McDonald
> >             :: 0437 221 380 :: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >

> >         --
> >         --
> >         Regards,
> >         Rob Rusher
> >
> >         Adobe Certified AIR, Connect, ColdFusion MX and Flex
Instructor