You can use the "visible" property on AxisRenderer

                         <mx:verticalAxisRenderers>

                            <mx:AxisRenderer placement="right" axis="{myAxis}"
visible="{showAxis}" includeInLayout="{showAxis}"/>
                        </mx:verticalAxisRenderers>

Unfortunately, includeInLayout doesn't seem to work here. The
invisible axis still talkes up space.