I have two recent separate examples that explain a lot. 1. Patent
Filing, 2. Magic Wand Algorithm

1. We filed two patents, both based around Flex. In one we were in
legal dispute with another company. Never ever did anyone ask for the
 source code from the legal teams. What you're patenting is the
solution and not the code and the process is very rigorous. If you are
working on such a project you know it, and you know what you invented
is not yours. And you can't be that stupid to go around and sell this.
If you are that stupid then you deserve to rot in jail. We're not
talking here about patents. Laws are very clear regarding this.

2. I had to create a magic wand tool with ability to set tolerance.
There is EXACTLY ONE way how to do it in AS non-expensively. Normal
flood fill approach is to expensive for AS, so you have to use some
tricks with applying native AS filters. Is it work for hire? Yes. Is
it patentable? NO - because magic wand is nothing new, just because I
wrote it AS does not make it patentable.

Can I use it again on different project? Sure I can, otherwise I can
never again complete any of the similar projects because there just
isn't any other way to do it. So I'd have to turn down all future
projects that would include magic wand. Imagine if this would apply to
everything you do and you wouldn't be able to use anything you
developed in the previous project, where would you be today?

And also all my previous code base would suddenly become employer's
like Bubba suggested. He actually said if I use my own toothbrush,
bought with my money in the supermarket, to better polish my
employer's floor, then this toothbrush is not mine any more and I have
no right to take it home.

It just doesn't work like that, and every time I used the code I
developed for a client I pretty damn sure I did not violate any IP
rights, and I would win any legal battle.

Alen

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Doug McCune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The company that you worked for has the right to patent the
implementation
> of that great algorithm that you came up with. So if that's really an
> "inventive" algorithm then yeah, they have the right to use it and
you do
> not. In the real world is this how things play out? often no, but
I'm just
> trying to explain my (non-professional) understanding of intellectual
> property law.
>
> Doug
>
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM, b_alen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >   So if I create a great algorithm for collision detection while
working
> > for a client I can not use it ever again? And if I have to make it for
> > 10 different clients in a year, I have to create 10 completely
> > different solutions for the same problem, so I don't copy. First of
> > all that's impossible. Second, if I do use the same knowledge and
> > techniques like you said, then the code is of secondary importance
> > anyway. I can heavily refactor the code and change all the variable
> > names but the heart of the algorithm will stay the same.
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Doug
> > McCune" <doug@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Typed code is what you are paid to deliver. That is what the
client is
> > > buying. When the client pays you you are selling those digital
lines of
> > > code.
> > >
> > > I just wrote a book for wiley. I cannot copy and paste any of the
> > prose that
> > > I wrote and post it on my blog. It belongs to wiley. I sold it to
> > them (for
> > > almost nothing, but that's beside the point). Yes, I can take the
> > knowledge
> > > I gained while writing that book and write completely new tutorials
> > that I
> > > post on my blog (although a non-compete prohibits me from writing a
> > > competitive book). But the instant I copy and paste something I am
> > breaking
> > > the legal contract that I signed.
> > >
> > > The original question was about taking the exact code that was
> > created for
> > > one client and using it in another project (either for a client or
> > as open
> > > source code for the community). I don't think there's much of a
> > legal gray
> > > area here. Yes, everyone agrees that the knowledge and techniques
> > that you
> > > gain while writing code are yours and can often be used in other
> > projects.
> > > But that is not at all the same as saying it's ok to copy a class or
> > chunks
> > > of code verbatim.
> > >
> > > Doug

<flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com><flexcoders%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>,
> >
> > "Kerry

> > involving code,

> > breakthrough