My company is working on migrating our Swing desktop application to a
Flex portlet-based application. As we're playing with the design, an
intriguing idea has come up -- instead of having our Flex portlets
live inside a portal, what if we built a Flex portlet viewer. We then
could have only one instance of the Flash player running (cutting down
some of our performance concerns) and this simplifies the interportlet
communication issue considerably. Specifically we want to try using
the flexmdi library and render both our content and 3rd party portlets
(following JSR 168/standard portlet policies) inside MDIWindows.

The first big questions we're investigating to test the feasibility of
doing this:
1) If we render HTML inside of Flex, do we have access to the DOM tree
of that HTML?
2) Once we confirm we can access the DOM, can we render a portlet
inside of Flex?

Any thoughts or feedback on this idea? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks!
Linus