Thanks Fidel,

That clears a few things and raises a few more questions...

Using a server for a standalone application looks a bit expensive. I
wonder if it's possible to code whole business logic in Action Script.
Is there any utility similar to hibernate for data persistence? Also
is it possible for barcode readers to directly provide inputs in a
FLEX application?

There is a POS application in adobe marketplace
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1562518

If they can do it I guess I can too....

Thanks
Raj Singh Sisodia