Hi All:

  I'm trying to do a simple drawing program, something like
http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/, in which I primarily want to be
able to draw freehand lines and be able to add text.   I want to
emulate the general text tool functionality where I click the text
tool icon, click on the canvas and start typing.

  I had tried the approach of addEventListener() for a key up event
which which I had a hard time of of getting focus (tried both the
application and the canvas), but when I did get focus, I discovered
that that the space button activates a button click of the last
selected button.  A google search shows someone else discovered this
accessibility feature.

   Is there a different route than the addEventListener() for key up
events that I should be taking to get this sort of behavior?

  Thanks

Forrest