Thanks. That's good to know about Box.
I believe Container is intended to be an abstract class, and while I was
able to use it as the root of an MXML document, it didn't seem to do
anything sensible (i.e. I couldn't see the children).

I guess if I was assured that Canvas is not horribly heavyweight (in speed
and memory footprint) relative to Box, that would be my preference, since I
can then avoid adding interim children in many cases. And a VBox nested
in/on a Canvas seems more intuitive than a Canvas nested in a Box.