From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Owen West
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:58 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Flex Web Sites Using Windows Authentication

Hi all,

Hoping somebody can provide some assistance...

In our organisation we are starting to deploy web-based applications
built using Flex to our corporate intranet. We are a Microsoft shop and
use Windows Server 2003 and IIS for all web site hosting.

Currently our applications use Forms authentication (user enters
login/password, which is checked against database and verified). What we
would like to do is to have all of our web sites use pass-through
authentication using Windows Domain Authentication. We have the web
sites configured to use Integrated Windows Authentication, however  we
are not sure how we can use this level of authentication from within our
Flex apps.

What we would like to have happen is something along the lines of:

1. User browses to web site (intranet application):
http://someapp.ourdomain <http://someapp.ourdomain>
2. The wen site authenticates the user (in IIS) using their logged in
Windows user credentials - domain groups will be used to control
authorisation levels (read-only, sysadmin, etc).
3. If the user is authenticated to use the web site, then their group
membership is returned to the Flex application (or it looks up the
details in Active Directory or equivalent functionality). Ultimately
what we would want is:
     * User Name (Domain\User)
     * Domain Group Membership(s) - Domain group memberships will
control access to resources in the Flex application - only members of
the application's SysAdmin group will see system admin functions, etc
     * Any other relevant details from Windows Active Directory -
possibly home folder location (shared folders), etc.

All this should occur seamlessly without the user having to type user
names/passwords. Our ultimate goal is to have single sign-on across the
organisation.

We currently have points 1 and 2 operating, however it is the Flex part
that is causing some troubles. Mainly - can we retrieve the Logged In
user name from the client (Domain\User) - we only want the name, not the
password. We use ColdFusion (v8) as our middleware, so once we have this
we can call CFLDAP tags to integrate with Active Directory, the main
problem at the moment is getting the client's logged on user name.

Hoping somebody can help.

Owen West  M.SysDev (C.Sturt) MCP MCAD MCSD
Computer Programmer
Applications Development Team
Information Technology & Telecommunications
Hunter New England Health
Ph: (02) 4921 4194
Fax: (02) 4921 4191
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]