Flex is an application framework built on the Flash foundation -
ActionScript is a common dialect.

http://www.pierocampanelli.info/technology/2008/01/20/a-sketch-of-adobe-flex
-architecture-capabilities/

1 . Loaders are driven programmatically - although you can include
references in MXML.

<mx:Script>

  <![CDATA[

  private function activateLoader():void

  {

    myUrlLoader.load( myUrlRequest );

  }

  ]]>

</mx:Script>

  <net:URLRequest id="myUrlRequest" url="image.jpg"/>

  <net:URLLoader id="myUrlLoader"/>

2 . See above.

Rick Winscot