Hopefully I won't need to - however  old habits die hard -maybe a
FAQ/guide for some of us older client/server developers would be useful
- Flex is a different way of thinking/different mindset.

I think you just turned on a light bulb for me - using loosely coupled
events can accomplish the same thing w/out needing to locate specific
controls etc. (Imagine a scenario in a data entry app were a checkbox
click requires the enabling/disabling of a group of related controls -
registering and handling events is the Flex way - different than what
I'm used to).

BTW -  Managing a separate list in the manner you described seems
redundant (unless there is performance penalty) - I'd expect the Flex
framework to make that data readily available.  Recursion is a bit
counter intuitive.

Again, I'm new to Flex and with a better understanding of the framework
I may well see problems/solutions etc in a different light.

Thx for your response - so much to learn!

Patrick.